Thursday, June 17, 2010

Giant Shoes

My daughter celebrated her ten-week 'birthday' by sleeping through the night.

I will pause for a moment to allow any other parents reading this to go green with envy.

Baby K - so-called because her other nicknames are potentially very embarrassing, and she might read this one day, and who wants the whole internet to know that you were called 'Miss Wiggles' when you were a baby? - has so far been an unnervingly good baby.

She rarely cries.

She sleeps well.

She communicates clearly with gestures and fusses, even at such a young age.

And now she's sleeping through the night. Which is great, don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying this whole sleeping thing enormously, but it has me worried. Surely this cannot last. After all those dire warnings, those portentious mutterings from more experienced mothers, how long can she continue cheerful and cooperative?

That other shoe is going to fall sooner or later. And judging from how well everything's going, that other shoe is going to be approximately the metaphorical size of Queensland. (For Americans, the state of Texas will, if memory serves, fit into the state of Queensland four or five times over with room around the edges.)

I suspect the other shoe's name will be 'Teething'.

I should enjoy that sleep while I'm getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment